Components and seasonings on this Anise-Flavored Eggplant Stir-Fry recipe straddle Asian and Italian cuisines, combining eggplant with anise-flavored fennel. Serve it with rice and a few inexperienced veggies, merely ready (greens, broccoli, or broccoli rabe), and a contemporary salad augmented with chickpeas. Contributed by Susan Jane Cheney.
Anise-Flavored Eggplant Stir-Fry
- 1 lb (4 6- to 7-inch lengthy) Asian eggplants
- 1 massive onion
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- eight massive cloves garlic, minced
- freshly floor black pepper, to style
- 1 cup vegetable inventory
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium pure soy sauce or tamari
- salt, to style
- 1/Four cup minced contemporary fennel leaves
- First put together the greens. Trim the ends off the eggplants and halve them lengthwise. Reduce every half crosswise into thirds, then slice every bit lengthwise into thick strips. Reduce the onion in half lengthwise, then lower every half into skinny vertical slices. Reduce the fennel into skinny vertical slices about 2 inches lengthy.
- Set a stir-fry pan or wok over excessive warmth. Add the oil and swirl it to coat the edges of the pan. Add the onion and stir-fry about 2 minutes, till translucent. Add the fennel and garlic, then progressively add the eggplant, persevering with to stir-fry a number of minutes longer. Grind in black pepper.
- Add the inventory and tamari and convey to a simmer. Cowl the wok, cut back the warmth and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring sometimes, till the eggplant is totally tender. Style and add salt and extra pepper if wanted. Sprinkle within the fennel leaves simply earlier than serving.
This publish was initially revealed on 15 August 2011.