In Liguria, they name it farinata, in Provence, they name it socca. In each circumstances, it’s a Mediterranean pancake made with garbanzo flour, so it’s not simply luscious, it’s gluten-free. This recipe spices up the essential chickpea farinata by including zucchini. Crispy crusted with a young inside, it’s nice by itself or with the pink onion jam linked to this recipe within the ingredient checklist following.
Chickpea Zucchini Farinata with Cabernet-Pink Onion Jam
- 1 half of cups chickpea flour
- 1 half of cups water
- Four tbsp olive oil, plus 1 extra for coating the skillet
- 1 medium zucchini
- sea salt and freshly floor pepper, to style
- Cabernet-Pink Onion Jam
- Pour chickpea flour right into a medium bowl. Slowly pour in water, stirring continuously till combination kinds a thick batter. Stir within the Four tablespoons of olive oil. Cowl and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour and so long as in a single day. Batter ought to be creamy and golden, with texture and coloration like tahini.
- An hour earlier than baking the farinata, shred the zucchini (hand grate or use a meals processor), place in a colander or sieve and sprinkle with a bit of salt, to assist drain the zucchini of extra water.
- Place an oven rack within the uppermost place and set oven to broil.
- Frivolously oil an eight or 9 inch skillet.
- Wrap shredded zucchini in a towel or paper towel and squeeze. Blot dry. Stir into chickpea batter.
- Pour into skillet, spreading with a spatula so the combination is even. Give it a garnish of sea salt and contemporary floor pepper.
- Broil farinata for eight to 10 minutes, or till pancake is golden and is beginning to agency up.
- Cut back oven temperature to 450°F and transfer farinata to center oven rack. Proceed baking for one more 18 to 20 minutes, till pancake is ready.
- Take away from oven and let cool barely earlier than slicing into wedges. Serve with the cabernet-red onion jam.
Ellen Kanner is the Huffington Put up’s Meatless Monday blogger, the syndicated columnist The Edgy Veggie, and contributor to publications together with Culinate, Bon Appetit, and Each Day With Rachael Ray as nicely as her personal weblog.
This publish was initially revealed on 30 August 2011.