I’m 55 years outdated with pores and skin that tans fairly simply. I used to be a product of the 80’s when the thought was “the tanner the higher.” Effectively I’m seeing the outcomes of that now. Are there laser therapies out there for actinic keratoses? I’ve solar harm actinic keratosis spots on my legs and arms that actually trouble me.
Thanks for sharing this! I’m hoping readers will see this and take even higher care of their pores and skin.
Whenever you consider “solar” actually assume “mild” as a result of UVA is current all day lengthy, and UVB is strongest from about 10-Three however nonetheless current at different hours. Tanning IS pores and skin damage! As a result of it’s your pores and skin’s protecting response (enhance the melanin) to UV radiation. The cells in your pores and skin are injured and so they reply by rising the melanin manufacturing. Melanin is simply shade and absorbs UV radiation to guard the pores and skin.
Right here’s the issue. These of us who’s ancestors got here from cloudy, chilly climates don’t have a lot melanin naturally, and now many people stay in sunny climates. Conversely, if our ancestors got here from very sunny areas, particularly close to the equator, we advanced to stay in sunny climates with a lot of pure melanin in our pores and skin. We extra pure safety, if that’s the case.
What when you over did “solar” prior to now, what occurs?
- Lighter pores and skin sorts at first will typically tan, however then pores and skin turns into blotchy, purple, wrinkled and leathery. After which develops actinic keratoses (AKs – precancerous) and pores and skin cancers.
- Medium pores and skin sorts will tan simply, however then pores and skin developed brown spots or melasma, and wrinkles. Pores and skin cancers are much less frequent.
- Darker pores and skin sorts typically develop uneven pores and skin with brown spots over time. Pores and skin cancers are uncommon. Wrinkles much less of an issue.
What are you able to do now when you’ve performed the harm?
- First, see a dermatologist for a danger evaluation and to deal with any present AKs and pores and skin cancers
- Put on a excessive zinc (10-20%) sunscreen daily within the affected space, cowl up and put on a hat.
- Do the medical therapies out there for precancerous lesions (AKs). There are a lot of together with liquid nitrogen, “chemo cream” (5-fluorouracil), Picato, Aldara, blue mild, and many others. These will assist, however the lesions typically recur.
- Think about CO2 laser as a extra everlasting answer. About 10-20% of the pores and skin is eliminated within the space with every therapy, relying on the depth. This laser goes deeper than different lasers. Technically with 5 therapies you’ll strategy a few 90% discount. We use this in our clinic and there’s a lot of medical literature on it. There’s downtime, and most insurance coverage at present is not going to cowl it. You additionally want an professional dermatologist who does a whole lot of CO2 laser as a result of it takes expertise to get the depth proper.
Hope this helps,
Dr. Brandith Irwin