Once I miss Austin, I make this migas recipe for breakfast. Made with a handful of primary components, it is enjoyable, flavorful, and simple to make!
Wanting again now, I can’t imagine that there was a time after I hadn’t heard of migas. Rising up within the Midwest, I ate muffins for breakfast each morning. Once I went to varsity, I began every day with a bowl of oatmeal. In the event you requested me the place to search out nice migas, I’d have checked out you such as you had been loopy.
However in Austin, migas are in all places. Exit to brunch, they usually’ll be on the menu. Cease at a taco truck within the morning, and everybody there will probably be getting migas breakfast tacos. It didn’t take me lengthy to grasp the hype. Crumbled tortilla chips, melty cheese, and tender scrambled eggs create an unbelievable creamy/crunchy texture. Onions, tomatoes, and cilantro add numerous contemporary taste, and jalapeños amp up the warmth. Splash your migas with salsa and stuff them into tortillas, and also you’ll be asking for seconds earlier than you realize it!
I beloved getting migas out to eat in Austin (my favorites had been at Veracruz All Pure, Taco Deli, and South Congress Cafe), however now that we’re again in Chicago, I make this migas recipe at dwelling as a substitute. In the event you’ve by no means tried migas earlier than, please give this recipe a go! It makes use of a handful of primary components, and it’s actually flavorful and enjoyable. After years of residing in Austin, it’s turn into one among my favourite breakfast recipes. I hope you adore it too!
Migas Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll must make this Austin-style migas recipe:
- Eggs, after all! I wish to take the migas off the warmth when the eggs are nonetheless a little runny. That method, they’ll be tender and creamy while you eat.
- Crumbled tortilla chips – Migas started as a something-from-nothing sort of dish, the place leftover corn tortillas had been sliced into strips, fried till crisp, and scrambled with eggs. At dwelling, for comfort, I substitute crumbled tortilla chips for the fried tortilla strips. They add crunch and wealthy corn taste to the tender scrambled eggs!
- Monterey Jack cheese – I’m not at all times a fan of cheese with eggs, however I adore it right here. I fold it in proper on the finish in order that it melts into the eggs with out clumping or changing into gummy.
- Purple onion and garlic – They add sharp, savory depth of taste.
- Roma tomatoes – The kind of tomato is necessary right here! At all times use seeded, cored roma tomatoes, as they’re much less watery than different varieties.
- Jalapeño – For warmth! I wish to make this migas recipe with a whole jalapeño, however when you’re delicate to spice, begin with much less and add extra to style.
- Cilantro – Sprinkle it on high for vibrant inexperienced colour and contemporary taste!
Warmth a bit olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and jalapeño and cook dinner, stirring, till they soften, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and crumbed tortilla chips, and stir to scramble. Then, fold within the cheese and switch off the warmth. Sprinkle with cilantro, season with salt and pepper to style, and serve!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Migas Serving Recommendations
My favourite approach to take pleasure in migas is in breakfast tacos, so I at all times serve them with tortillas on the facet. Add your favourite salsa (I like pico de gallo, contemporary tomato salsa, or tomatillo salsa) and sliced avocado or guacamole. Then, end them off with a giant squeeze of lime juice, and dig in! In the event you’re craving an even bigger breakfast or brunch, spherical out the meal with cooked black beans or refried beans.
Extra Favourite Breakfast Recipes
In the event you love this migas recipe, attempt these scrumptious breakfast recipes subsequent:
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: 2 minutes
Whole Time: 10 minutes
These Austin-style migas are a enjoyable breakfast or brunch!
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup diced crimson onion
- 2 roma tomatoes, cored and diced
- ½ to 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 5 eggs, overwhelmed
- ¼ cup crumbled tortilla chips
- ½ cup shredded jack cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
Warmth the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion, tomato, jalapeño, garlic, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and several other grinds of contemporary pepper. Prepare dinner for two minutes, stirring, till softened. Add the eggs and crumbled chips and stir to scramble. Stir in cheese and take away from the skillet.
Sprinkle with cilantro, season to style with extra salt and pepper, and serve with tortillas, avocado slices, lime wedges, and salsa.