Forbidden black rice is nutty, scrumptious, and chock-full of vitamins like iron and fiber. Learn on to discover ways to prepare dinner this hanging, good-for-you grain!
As I rummaged by means of my pantry final spring, I discovered a canister of black rice that I’d forgotten about. Jack and I hadn’t been to the shop in weeks. After consuming our means by means of packing containers of pasta and luggage of white rice, the black rice was an thrilling change.
Due to its nutty taste and hanging purple hue, black rice, additionally known as forbidden rice, had been one in every of my favourite grains after we lived in Austin. I’d get it from the majority bins on the grocery retailer, eagerly anticipating including it to salads and bowls after I obtained residence. I don’t know why it fell out of the rotation after we moved, however after consuming it on repeat all through the spring, summer season, and fall, I’m completely satisfied to report that in our home, black rice is again for good.
What’s forbidden rice?
In case you’ve solely cooked white rice and brown rice earlier than, you is likely to be questioning, “What’s forbidden rice, anyway?”
It’s a good query. This heirloom rice selection isn’t widespread. In contrast with different kinds of rice, it has a low yield, so it’s not grown as a lot as higher-yielding, mainstream varieties. Even in historical China, it was uncommon. In truth, the title “forbidden rice” comes from the truth that solely the traditional Chinese language royalty had been allowed to eat it.
Nonetheless, black rice is value searching for out. I am keen on its nutty taste and chewy texture, and it’s additionally extremely nutritious. Its darkish coloration comes from highly effective antioxidants known as anthocyanins. It’s wealthy in iron, and it’s an entire grain rice selection, too. What does that imply? Properly, not like white rice, its outermost layer stays intact when it’s processed. In consequence, it has loads of fiber. I believe you’re going to adore it!
The right way to Prepare dinner Black Rice
Cooking black rice on the range is easy. In truth, it’s lots like cooking brown rice! Right here’s what it’s essential to do:
- First, rinse the rice. This step helps take away starches that may trigger clumping throughout the cooking course of.
- Subsequent, add it to a lidded saucepan. Stir in 1 3/Four cups of water for each cup rice, together with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Convey to a boil, scale back the warmth to low, cowl, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Lastly, enable the rice to steam. Take away it from the warmth and let it sit, coated, for 10 extra minutes.
Fluff with a fork, and revel in!
Black Rice Serving Recommendations
Season the rice with salt and pepper and serve it as a aspect dish, or use it in your favourite rice recipes! I particularly love utilizing forbidden black rice as the bottom for grain bowls. Attempt including it to any of those 15 Rice Bowl Recipes, or make your individual bowl with these parts:
- The rice, in fact! Begin with a mattress of cooked forbidden black rice.
- A protein. Black rice pairs actually properly with baked tofu, tempeh, and eggs. Attempt soft-boiling them or cooking them sunny-side-up.
- Your favourite veggies. Toss in a handful of contemporary greens, thinly sliced radishes, or shaved carrots. Roasted broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or butternut squash could be nice too! The choices are countless.
- A tasty sauce. Tie all of it along with peanut sauce, tahini dressing, gochujang sauce, or cilantro lime dressing.
Let me know what combos you attempt!
Extra Wholesome Cooking Fundamentals
In case you love this black rice recipe, attempt cooking one in every of these nutritious grains or legumes subsequent:
Forbidden Black Rice
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: 40 minutes
Black rice, or forbidden rice, is nutty, scrumptious, and wealthy with vitamins like antioxidants and fiber. It is a wonderful aspect dish or addition to grain bowls, salads, and extra!
- 1 cup raw forbidden black rice, rinsed
- 1¾ cups water
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Mix the rice, water, and olive oil in a medium pot and produce to a boil. Cowl, scale back the warmth to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Take away from the warmth and let it sit, coated, for 10 extra minutes. Fluff with a fork.