This straightforward dish of black beans served over rice has come to be often known as a regional normal in Florida because of the popularization of black beans by the Cuban-American neighborhood. After getting your cooked beans readily available, this recipe requires a minimal of effort. Photographs by Evan Atlas.
Cuban-Impressed Black Beans and Rice
- 1 giant onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium inexperienced or crimson bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3–four cloves garlic, minced
- Three half–four cups cooked black beans (from about 1 2/Three cups uncooked), or 2 (15–16 oz) cans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and freshly floor black pepper
- a couple of grains of cayenne pepper
- half cup water or cooking liquid from beans
- scorching cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped, for non-obligatory garnish
- Warmth 1 half tablespoons of the oil in a big skillet. Add the onion and sauté till they over medium-low warmth till it’s translucent. Add the bell pepper and garlic and proceed to sauté till the onion is golden.
- Add the beans, vinegar, and seasonings (be beneficiant with the black pepper) together with the water or cooking liquid. Simmer over very low warmth, coated, for 10 minutes.
- With the again of a wood spoon or a mashing implement, mash about half cup of the beans within the skillet, or sufficient to thicken the bottom. Make certain there may be sufficient liquid to maintain the whole lot good and moist however not soupy. Simmer for five minutes longer.
- Serve the black beans over or facet by facet with a mattress of cooked rice, topping every serving with a sprinkling of the chopped uncooked onion, if desired.
Variation: Different non-obligatory garnishes for this dish can embody cilantro, thinly sliced radishes, and/or lime wedges.
Vitamin data (with half cup cooked rice)
Per serving: Energy: 322; Whole Fats: 6g; Protein: 12g; Carbs: 56g; Sodium: Three mg
This submit was initially printed on 30 July 2012.