Hope your week goes properly? The recipe I deliberate for as we speak is impressed by cool, moody autumn and as luck would have it our climate has completely backtracked and bestowed just a few heat and sunny, nearly summery days on us after we’ve got stated goodbye to summer time. I’m not complaining as I’ve been loving the heat this week – I took Monday off to sit down in my backyard and skim – but it surely rendered my recipe rather less related. I nonetheless determined to go forward with it as we speak as I’m positive that it’s going to come in useful quickly sufficient. It’s simple to make, cosy and scrumptious, filled with flavour and texture and makes for a unbelievable autumn or winter facet or part of a diverse mezze unfold.
This recipe is partly impressed by a Greek dish known as skordalia, which is principally beetroots (cooked normally) served with intensely garlicky sauce or dip based mostly on both floor almonds, starchy potatoes or rehydrated stale bread.
For my dish, I’ve determined to roast my beetroots within the oven as that’s how I take pleasure in them most and serve them on a mattress of creamy cauliflower mash / dip flavoured with roasted walnuts and roasted garlic cloves and topped with a drizzle of tangy-sweet balsamic glaze.
I strongly advocate baking each cauliflower and the beetroots – for those who determine to do them each without delay, take care to not overcrowd the tray as an excessive amount of moisture will inhibit the roasting course of. You may additionally steam the cauliflower whereas roasting your beets, however roasted florets contribute a lot extra flavour for my part.
I’ve made my mash creamy by incorporating just a few tablespoons of roasted walnut butter. You may get it in outlets nowadays, however it’s so ridiculously simple and fast to make at house that I might not trouble. Versus almonds or hazelnuts, walnuts are fairly mushy and oily so as soon as they get superbly golden within the oven, they get churned into silky easy butter very quickly. My actually outdated and on its final legs meals processor solely wanted about three minutes to do the job. It shops for ages and it’ll convey flavours of roasted cauliflower or celeriac to a different stage.
The ultimate element that actually brings this dish collectively is balsamic glaze and as soon as once more, you’ll be able to merely purchase it, but it surely’s really easy and fast to make that I favor to make my very own. I detailed how to do this beneath if you’re equally inclined.
This easy dish is gorgeous by itself, however if you wish to make it into extra of a most important meal, serve it with some crusty bread or olive oil crackers, Kalamata olives and an enormous inexperienced crunchy salad. I hope you’ll adore it as a lot as we’ve got.
PS: If you happen to do make my vegan cauliflower mash, don’t overlook to tag me on Instagram as @lazycatkitchen and use the #lazycatkitchen hashtag. I really like seeing your takes on my recipes!
- serves: 4
- 450 g / 1 lb cauliflower florets (1 medium cauliflower)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head of garlic
- 450 g / 1 lb uncooked beetroot
- ½ tsp salt, extra to style
- 120 ml / ½ cup almond (or different impartial tasting) milk
- 60 ml / ¼ cup roasted walnut butter*, shop-bought or see beneath
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- black pepper, to style
- ½ tsp floor cumin (non-compulsory)
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze / discount, shop-bought or see beneath
- roasted walnuts, to garnish
- recent thyme leaves,to garnish
WALNUT BUTTER (if making from scratch)
BALSAMIC GLAZE REDUCTION (if making from scratch)
- Four tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or sugar, regulate to style
- Warmth up the oven to 200° C / 390° F and seize a really giant baking tray. It’s essential to not overcrowd the tray so in case your tray isn’t giant sufficient, you might must roast the cauliflower and the beets individually.
- Divide cauliflower into medium, similar dimension as a lot as doable, florets. Stir 2 tsp of olive oil by means of it and prepare the items on one half of the baking tray, reduce sides down.
- Lower the tops of the garlic head off so that every one the person cloves are uncovered, drizzle with olive oil, wrap within the piece of kitchen foil and place on the identical tray.
- Lastly, scrub and peel (you’ll be able to depart the peel on for those who like) the entire beetroots. Lower them into wedges, small ones Four methods, medium ones 6 methods and actually large one eight methods. Coat in 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt. Organize them on the opposite facet of the tray.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, flipping the florets and beetroot wedges to the opposite facet 15 minutes in – you need the florets to be charred on one facet earlier than flipping them over.
- Place roasted / steamed cauliflower florets in a blender (you should use a meals processor however the dip gained’t be as easy) along with almond milk, walnut butter, vinegar / lemon juice, squeezed out roasted garlic cloves (I used 6, use as many as you favor). Course of till tremendous easy – you’ll need to cease the blender and scrape down the perimeters infrequently. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. To make the dip / mash further easy and indulgent, you might wish to add a little bit little bit of walnut oil or further virgin olive oil.
- Unfold the cauliflower dip on a big plate / platter and prepare the roasted beets artfully on prime. Drizzle with balsamic discount, scatter roasted walnuts and recent thyme leaves on prime.
WALNUT BUTTER (makes 240 ml / 1 cup)
- Warmth up the oven to 180° C / 350° F.
- Unfold walnuts on a big baking sheet and roast within the preheated oven for about eight minutes, till golden and aromatic. Cool.
- Place roasted walnuts in a meals processor and course of till you get hold of a walnut butter. It took my very outdated Kenwood three minutes so it shouldn’t take that lengthy in any respect. Switch the butter to a jar and retailer within the fridge (it retains for at the very least 1 month).
BALSAMIC GLAZE / REDUCTION
- Place balsamic vinegar and maple syrup (or sugar) in a small pot, combine properly and place on a low warmth.
- Simmer gently to scale back to the specified consistency (the size of time is determined by the standard of the balsamic vinegar, the extra runny sort of balsamic will take longer to scale back). The tough half right here is that it is just doable to guage the discount as soon as the combination has cooled down utterly so it’s simple to over cut back or not cut back sufficient. That’s not an issue although – for those who over diminished, convey it again with a small splash of water. If not diminished sufficient, return the pot to the range and simmer some extra.
*You need to use tahini as a substitute, however roasted walnut butter works so significantly better and it offers the dish a beautiful umami flavour.