Should you purchase a Whirlpool washer, get a Whirlpool dryer. They only appear to go collectively. However does the identical factor apply to skincare manufacturers? Is it higher to stay with only one model? Possibly, however not essentially. Some manufacturers provide you with a reasonably express routine that you may comply with. Step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. So easy. So good. Solely downside is, everybody’s wants and funds are totally different.
If you want, you may combine and match manufacturers, however right here are some things to think about.
- Mixing manufacturers could cause some redundancy (your pores and skin can take solely a lot retinol!), whereas on the identical time may additionally trigger omissions (for instance, too many merchandise that stimulate, and never sufficient merchandise that calm your pores and skin).
- Various consistencies (viscosities) can have an effect on absorption. So in case you’re not following a routine, one product could restrict or block the absorption of one other. The overall rule of thumb is that this: Apply merchandise from thinnest to thickest—that means, use light-weight toners and lotions earlier than making use of serums and lotions.
- Apply prescription merchandise earlier than cosmeceutical merchandise. Should you’re utilizing Retin-A and Lifeline ProPlus Evening Restoration Moisture Complicated, apply the prescription-strength Retin A primary.
- When you’ve got issue tolerating merchandise that could be irritating, you could be tempted to both abandon utilizing the product(s) or getting a lowered energy. Each, after all, will scale back the effectiveness and consequence. It’s higher so as to add a product that calms and soothes the pores and skin resembling ProPlus Evening Restoration Moisture Complicated.
- Watch out to not use elements that neutralize one another. Stem cell skincare merchandise (like Lifeline Pores and skin Care) can complement any skincare line as a result of the important thing ingredient—progress elements from human stem cells—don’t compete with different energetic elements.
- Various pHs could cause sure elements to neutralize one another. Retinoic acid, L-ascorbic acid (a type of Vitamin C) and glycolic acid are all acidic, so that they complement one another. But when they’re combined with elements with a better, extra alkaline, pH, they are going to be neutralized, and could also be ineffective. Conversely, their weaker cousins (like retinol) shouldn’t be used with acidic elements. Should you’re utilizing retinol (like in over-the-counter ROC merchandise), use stabilized non-acidic vitamin C.
- Apply sunscreen as your closing step. SPF30 sunscreens are meant to be boundaries. So not solely are they efficient at preserving out UV rays, they restrict the penetration or absorption of the whole lot else—together with energetic elements. Absorption and penetration is essential to the effectiveness of cosmeceuticals.
When you’ve got questions on your routine, communicate with a trusted aesthetician or skincare skilled.