The traditional Center Jap crew of chickpeas and tahini (sesame paste) is mixed on this tasty, offbeat soup recipe. Serve with contemporary complete wheat pita bread. Center Jap tabbouli salad and a steamed inexperienced vegetable would spherical this meal out properly.
Photographs by Evan Atlas. Tailored from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Chickpea-Mushroom Soup with Tahini
Recipe kind: Soup
Delicacies: Vegan / wholesome
Prepare dinner time:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3–four cloves garlic, minced
- four cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 cups white, child bella, or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 tsp floor cumin
- 2 tsp salt-free seasoning
- 3½ cups cooked or two 15- to 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame paste)
- ¼ to ½ cup finely chopped contemporary parsley, to style
- 3–four scallions, inexperienced components solely, thinly sliced
- 2–Three tbsp minced contemporary dill, or extra, to style
- juice of ½ to 1 lemon, to style
- salt and freshly floor pepper, to style
- Warmth the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium-low warmth till golden.
- Add the water with bouillon cubes, mushrooms, cabbage, and seasonings. Deliver to a fast simmer, then decrease the warmth. Cowl and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, put aside half of the chickpeas and place the rest in a meals processor or blender with the tahini. Add a little bit water as wanted to skinny the consistency. Course of till easily pureed. Stir the puree again into the soup pot.
- Stir within the reserved chickpeas, carry to a simmer, then cowl and simmer very gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir within the parsley, scallions, dill, and lemon juice. Add water as wanted for a medium-thick consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, then simmer for five minutes longer. Serve directly, or let stand off the warmth for an hour or two. Warmth via earlier than serving.
Per serving: Energy: 247; Fats: 11g; Protein: 10g; Fiber: 11g; Carbs: 31g; Sodium: 280mg
This submit was initially printed on 11 Aug 2011.