We’ve lucked out with the climate this week. It’s actually actually sizzling and sunny so I’m quickly in my Greek summer time mode – slumped within the shade with my pocket book brainstorming future recipe concepts, residing on nothing however salads and fruit and preventing the afternoon stoop with prolific quantity of ice chilly caffeine – my drug of selection 😉 . Espresso freddo – chilly Greek espresso that we fell in love with when residing on Paros – is one thing we can not reside with out. We don’t have a particular machine that the Greek cafes use to make it, however I discovered that making it in a blender is an effective sufficient hack.
As Duncan has turn out to be a little bit of a espresso snob, we use his favorite single origin espresso brewed in a Chemex for an additional easy finish outcome that requires zero sugar or plant milk, however any espresso will do. It’s a good suggestion to brew it somewhat stronger than you’ll usually as ice dulls the flavour somewhat. We undergo quite a lot of espresso and as I dislike waste, I’ve not too long ago began turning our single origin espresso grounds right into a espresso scrub – one thing that has earned me a good quantity of sniggering from you-know-who.
I’ve been utilizing a shop-bought espresso scrub for some time however I ran out through the lockdown and with such a gentle quantity of espresso grounds going into our compost every day, I’ve determined to make my very own. Versus the shop-bought model which had quite a lot of substances (together with agave syrup!!), my model is lifeless easy. I unfold used up grounds on a baking tray and dry them out within the solar. As soon as dry I put them in a jar with some natural almond oil to type a paste. The espresso exfoliates your pores and skin whereas the almond oil retains it moisturised and it smells fantastic. I like to recommend it to anybody with a daily provide of espresso grounds. I don’t suppose I might want to purchase it ever once more.
Recipewise, I’ve a deliciously crunchy, tangy and candy, hydrating and filling salad for you immediately. It’s ultimate sizzling climate meals, excellent for straightforward entertaining, a BBQ or a picnic. It doesn’t require a lot work. A little bit of cautious chopping and this vibrant bowl comes collectively in a cinch. It’s wholesome but positively not boring and I hope you’ll get pleasure from it. x
PS: When you make my vegan summer time salad, don’t neglect to tag me on Instagram as @lazycatkitchen and use the #lazycatkitchen hashtag. I really like seeing your takes on my recipes!
- serves: 6-8
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 zucchini, lower into thick slices
- olive oil
- approx. 1 tsp cajun spice
- 15 radishes
- ½ lengthy cucumber
- 15 cherry or plum tomatoes
- 1 small pink pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 celery sticks
- 100 g / 3½ ouncessugar snap peas
- 1/Three cup almonds
- a handful of coriander, chopped
- 45 ml / Three tbsp additional virgin olive oil
- 30-45 ml / 2-Three tbsp lime juice, regulate to style
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp Cholula Chipotle OR a couple of drops of Smoky Tabasco, regulate to style
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- salt and pepper, to style
- Warmth up a griddle pan on a low warmth. Brush the corn with a small quantity of oil and place on the preheated griddle pan. Grill, turning each jiffy, till cooked and frivolously charred throughout. As soon as cool, shave the kernels off with a pointy knife.
- Brush zucchini with a small quantity of oil on either side, season with salt, frivolously sprinkle with cajun spice and place on the recent griddle pan. Permit them to cook dinner undisturbed till you get good char marks on one aspect, flip and cook dinner till you get the char marks once more. Take the zucchini off the pan and permit them to chill and chop into smaller items.
- Put together the remaining greens by chopping radishes into matchsticks, cucumber into quarter slices, tomatoes into quarters, pepper and avocado into giant cube, celery sticks and sugar snap peas into skinny slices, on the diagonal.
- Warmth up a small frying pan on a low warmth. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and, seconds later, the almonds. Toss to coat the almonds in oil. Toast them, tossing on occasion, on a low warmth till charred barely, sprinkle with salt and put aside to chill. As soon as cool, chop roughly.
- Mix all the salad substances collectively in a big bowl, drizzle with the dressing and beautify with recent coriander and chopped almonds.
- Mix all of the dressing substances in a small bowl or a jar with a lid. Stir vigorously to mix or put the lid on the jar and shake very nicely. Season with salt and pepper to style.