This straightforward stuffed peppers recipe is destined to your common rotation! It is tremendous easy, however the zesty rice filling makes it daring, recent, and flavorful.
Stuffed peppers are among the many handful of dishes that can all the time remind me of being a child. Rising up, they had been a fixture in my mother’s common recipe rotation, proper alongside creamy broccoli soup, eggplant Parmesan, and mac and cheese. Again then, I’d eat the filling, constituted of floor beef, Italian seasoning, tomato sauce, and rice, and push apart the pepper. In hindsight, it’s not laborious to see why folks had been shocked after I turned a vegetarian. 🙂
Since then, I’ve discovered that the pepper itself is an integral a part of any stuffed peppers recipe. Don’t get me unsuitable, the filling right here tastes nice by itself. Impressed by my cilantro lime rice, it’s a zesty mixture of rice, beans, corn, cilantro, and jalapeño. Lime juice and zest brighten it up, and spices like cumin, coriander, and cayenne make it fragrant and sophisticated. By itself, it’s yummy, however the pepper provides sweetness and crunch that turns it into one thing extra.
Like my mother’s stuffed peppers recipe, this one is straightforward sufficient to make usually. Because the climate cools and we begin to activate our ovens once more, I hope it’s going to develop into a part of your common rotation. Contemporary, filling, and enjoyable, it’s excellent for this time of 12 months, when peppers are at their peak.
Stuffed Peppers Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll have to make these straightforward stuffed peppers:
- Purple bell peppers – Purple bell peppers will all the time be my #1 choose. If you wish to attempt a unique coloration, use yellow or orange peppers, as they’re sweeter than their inexperienced counterparts.
- Black beans – Use canned, or cook dinner your personal.
- Candy corn – If recent candy corn’s in season, make sure that to make use of it right here. The candy, crispy kernels distinction completely with the creamy beans and tender rice. But when recent corn isn’t obtainable, don’t fear. Thawed frozen corn will work right here too.
- Cooked rice – I like to make use of white jasmine rice, however lengthy grain brown rice would even be scrumptious.
- Lime – I take advantage of each the juice and the zest to pack the filling with shiny, zesty taste.
- Garlic and scallions – They add sharp, savory depth of taste.
- Cumin, coriander, and cayenne – This filling is tremendous easy, however thanks to those three spices, it’s nonetheless daring and sophisticated.
- Jalapeños – For warmth! I like to combine diced jalapeños into the filling earlier than baking the peppers. Later, after I’m able to eat, I pile extra jalapeño slices on prime!
- Cilantro – It makes these hearty stuffed peppers really feel gentle and recent, and it highlights the fragrant cumin, coriander, and cayenne.
- White cheddar cheese – Who doesn’t love brown, bubbly cheese on prime of stuffed bell peppers?! In the event you’re vegan, don’t reply that. You’ll discover a dairy-free choice within the recipe beneath!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
Learn how to Make Stuffed Peppers
This vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe is straightforward to make! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, pre-bake the peppers. Slice them in half lengthwise and take away the seeds and membranes. Place them cut-side-up in a baking dish or on a baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil, and sprinkle them with salt. Bake for 10 minutes at 450°, till they’re beginning to soften. Tip out any liquid that swimming pools inside the peppers, and set them apart.
In the meantime, make the filling. Mix the lime juice and zest, spices, scallions, cilantro, jalapeño, salt, and olive oil on the backside of a giant bowl. Fold within the rice, black beans, and corn, and season to style with salt and pepper.
Then, stuff the peppers, and bake once more! Pile within the filling, ensuring to tuck it into the peppers’ nooks and crannies. Sprinkle them with the shredded cheese, and bake for one more 10-15 minutes at 450°, or broil for 2-5 minutes, till the cheese is browned and effervescent.
Permit the peppers to chill barely, and dig in!
Stuffed Bell Peppers Serving Recommendations + Variations
Whenever you’re able to eat, prime the stuffed bell peppers with avocado slices, additional jalapeños (or pickled jalapeños!), and a giant squeeze of lime juice. Get pleasure from them as a facet dish together with your favourite protein, or make them the principle occasion! In the event you’re serving them as an entree, pair them with a easy inexperienced salad tossed in cilantro lime dressing or any of those scrumptious salad recipes:
They’d even be improbable with grilled veggie skewers, grilled eggplant, or grilled zucchini on the facet.
Alternatively, make this recipe vegan! As a substitute of baking the peppers twice, you’ll simply cook dinner them as soon as, earlier than you fill them. After they bake, load them up with the filling, and serve them with guacamole or chipotle sauce. Add a spoonful of mango salsa, tomatillo salsa, or pico de gallo to take them excessive!
In case you have leftover filling (which you would possibly, relying on the dimensions of your peppers), serve it as a facet dish for tacos, or use it as the bottom of a do-it-yourself burrito bowl. Get pleasure from!
Extra Favourite Stuffed Veggies
In the event you love this stuffed peppers recipe, attempt stuffing one among these veggies subsequent:
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: 20 minutes
Serves 4 to six
- 4 purple bell peppers
- Further-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1½ cups white cheddar cheese
- Avocado slices or guacamole, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 jalapeños, diced, extra for topping, if desired
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 cups cooked white jasmine rice
- 1½ cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups corn kernels
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the pepper halves on the baking sheet minimize facet up. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and bake 10 minutes. Tip out and discard any liquid that swimming pools contained in the peppers. Set the peppers apart.
Make the filling. In a big bowl, combine collectively the olive oil, garlic, jalapeños, scallions, lime zest, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, and cilantro. Fold within the rice, black beans, and corn.
Scoop the filling into the pepper halves and prime them with the cheese. Broil for two to five minutes or till the cheese is effervescent and browned. Alternatively, proceed baking at 450°F for 10 to 15 minutes till the cheese is melted. Serve with the avocado slices, lime wedges, and further jalapenos, if desired.