Most vegan banh mi sandwich recipes use tofu, however this one is totally different! It’s a Grilled Veggie Banh Mi, made with marinated summer season greens.
Farmer’s Market Veggies
This weekend I went to verify on my backyard and all of the squash crops had been limp, brown, and crispy. Curse you, vine borers! I used to be just about anticipating it to occur although, as a result of a) it occurs yearly, and b) I had my very first encounter with vine borers this summer season, which I enumerated intimately right here after which deleted as a result of possibly writing in gory element about vine borers isn’t the easiest way to start out a recipe put up? Perhaps?
However that’s okay as a result of the farmers market is stuffed with loopy summer season squash proper now. And loopy eggplant! Loopy peppers! Loopy all the things! As you may need seen, I’m a sucker for offbeat and heirloom veggies, so every time we go to the farmers market, I top off. I can’t actually say that yellow zucchini tastes any totally different than the inexperienced type, however hey, it’s yellow! Yellow!
In regards to the Recipe
In case you make this Grilled Veggie Banh Mi sandwich (oh, and it’s best to, as a result of it’s scrumptious), you should use any veggies you want for it. I used three little spherical speckled eggplant and a thin white one, the aforementioned yellow zucchini, and a purple bell pepper. However something works, simply so long as it provides as much as 1 1/Four kilos. That is tailored from a Cooking Gentle recipe that I made earlier this summer season that used eggplant solely—along with utilizing a wide range of veggies, I additionally added the additional step of marinating the veggies for a bit.
My favourite a part of this recipe, although, is the peanutty unfold that goes on the baguette. After I’ve seen vegetarian banh mis previously, most of them had been made with tofu and most of them had been made with mayo. Tofu is nice, however I’m not a fan of mayo! (Until it’s cashew mayo, after all.) The unfold is sort of like peanut sauce in taste, however it’s much less saucy. (However if you happen to do need peanut sauce on a sandwich, I’ve one like that too!)
We had these with corn-on-the-cob and thick slices of Sugar Child watermelon. I can’t consider a greater dinner for a sizzling August day. (Even when I didn’t develop the veggies myself!)
Grilled Vegan Banh Mi Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 10 minutes
- Whole Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Four sandwiches
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced inexperienced onions
- 1 1/Four lb assorted greens (I used eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper), lower into 1/4-inch slices
- salt and pepper, to style
Banh Mi Sandwiches
- 1/Four cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/Four tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/three cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/Four cup thinly sliced inexperienced onions
- 1 tbsp grated contemporary ginger
- 2 tsp yellow miso
- 2 tsp contemporary lime juice
- 1 (16 oz) baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup contemporary cilantro leaves
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (non-compulsory)
- Whisk collectively the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, tamari, and garlic in a big baking dish. Place inexperienced onions and greens in dish and toss to coat. Marinate for at the very least 30 minutes or as much as in a single day within the fridge.
- Warmth indoor grill to Sear or, in case your grill doesn’t have a Sear setting, to Excessive. Rigorously place marinated veggies on the grill and cook dinner for about 5 minutes on all sides, till tender, brushing with further marinade as they cook dinner. (You may as well use an out of doors grill or a grill pan over medium-high warmth if you happen to don’t have an indoor grill.) Season with salt and pepper to style.
Banh Mi Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk collectively the rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Add the shredded carrots and let the combination marinate for 15 minutes. Drain off any extra liquid.
- Hole out the highest and backside of the baguette, leaving a 1-inch thick shell. Place the baguette halves on a baking sheet with the lower sides up and bake till crisp and simply starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- In one other small bowl, mix the peanut butter, inexperienced onions, ginger, miso, and lime juice. Unfold this combination onto the underside half of the baguette. Organize the grilled veggies on prime of this, then the carrots and cucumber, and eventually the cilantro and jalapeño slices (if utilizing). Place the highest half of the baguette onto the sandwich, then lower into Four items.
This put up was initially revealed on 12 Aug 2013.