Skip the cereal—make this recipe for tacky vegetarian Make-Forward Breakfast Quesadillas, simply reheated to make a filling, on-the-go weekday morning meal.
Quesadillas for Breakfast?!
I’m a little bit ashamed to confess that I by no means had breakfast quesadillas till about two years in the past. Positive, I had loved many a tacky quesadilla full of spinach or different veggies for lunch and dinner. However for breakfast, and with eggs? This was a complete new idea to me!
I’ve made a number of variations over the course of those final two years, however this one could also be my favourite. Purple onion and corn are sautéed in a skillet together with a number of spices like cumin and smoked paprika, after which combined along with scrambled eggs and black beans. A bit little bit of cheese and salsa provides the proper of completion.
One of many foremost causes that these are my favourite is that they’re freezer-friendly. I’m all for any breakfast that may be made prematurely and simply pulled out everytime you want it—whether or not it’s for breakfast correct, or a fast weeknight dinner.
I wish to arrange a kind of meeting line when making a batch, which makes the entire course of good and straightforward. After they’re all assembled, wrap them up tightly in plastic wrap after which place them in a single layer on a baking sheet or another flat floor that may slot in your freezer. As soon as they’re agency, you may switch them (within the plastic wrap) to a plastic freezer bag or different hermetic container to maintain in your freezer.
In case you are making these forward to freeze, let the egg and veggie combination cool all the way down to room temperature earlier than you begin assembling. This enables any steam to dissipate at first’s wrapped up, which is able to assist forestall sogginess. You possibly can both prepare dinner the quesadillas in a skillet forward of time and reheat within the microwave later—or skip the skillet step, freeze, then prepare dinner within the skillet once you’re able to warmth them later.
Take pleasure in every time you want to, and with no matter toppings are your favorites! Personally, I really like them with a superb serving to of sliced avocado and a bit of additional salsa.
Make-Forward Breakfast Quesadillas
These freezer-friendly quesadillas are full of loads of eggs, black beans, and veggies—the proper technique to begin the day!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 20 minutes
- Whole Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 10 quesadillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small pink onion, diced
- half of cup corn kernels, contemporary or frozen
- half of tsp salt, divided
- half of tsp floor cumin
- 1/four tsp smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- eight massive eggs
- 1 tbspmilk
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 massive flour tortillas
- 1 half of cups cheese of alternative, shredded
- half of cup + 2 tbsp chunky-style salsa
- optionally available toppings akin to plain Greek yogurt, chunky salsa, and/or sliced avocado
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a big nonstick skillet over medium warmth. When sizzling, add the onion and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till it begins to melt, about 2 minutes. Add the corn, 1/four teaspoon salt, cumin, paprika and garlic and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till tender, Three to four minutes. Switch to a small bowl and put aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, milk, remaining 1/four teaspoon salt and pepper. Set the skillet again over medium warmth. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. When sizzling, add the egg combination. Cook dinner, stirring often, till scrambled, 3–four minutes. Take away from the warmth.
- If the bowl of veggies has any extra juices, drain them off. Add the veggies again to the skillet with the scrambled eggs. Add black beans and blend to mix. Style and season with extra salt and pepper if desired.
- Place a tortilla in your work floor. Spoon about 1/10th of the egg combination on half of a tortilla, leaving a small border across the edge. Prime with 1/10th of the cheese and 1 tablespoon salsa. Fold the empty half of the tortilla excessive of the filling to kind a semicircle. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Wipe out the skillet that you simply used for the eggs and set over medium-high warmth. When sizzling, mist evenly with an oil mister or cooking spray. Place an assembled quesadilla within the pan and prepare dinner for about 5–6 minutes, till each side are browned and the cheese is melted, flipping as soon as midway by means of. Repeat this course of with the remaining quesadillas.
- Minimize into triangles. Serve with optionally available toppings if desired.
In case you’re making these forward to freeze, prepare dinner the veggies and eggs as directed above, then allow them to cool to room temperature earlier than continuing. Assemble the identical approach as directed above however don’t prepare dinner within the skillet. As an alternative, wrap every assembled quesadilla individually in plastic wrap, then, to forestall bending, place in a single layer on a baking sheet or one other flat floor that may slot in your freezer. Switch to the freezer, freeze till agency, then transfer the quesadillas to a freezer bag or hermetic container for storing in your freezer.
When able to eat, take away the plastic wrap, then heat within the microwave for two to three minutes till heated by means of. Alternatively, allow them to thaw out in a single day within the fridge after which, within the morning, prepare dinner in a skillet as directed above.
This submit was initially revealed on 15 September 2014.