By in style demand, at the moment I convey you a recipe for conventional Mexican smooth corn tortillas that include solely corn flour, plus water and optionally salt and aren’t as troublesome to make as you might need been led to consider. After I revealed my final recipe for simple vegan fajitas , I acquired inundated with messages on all channels asking for me to publish my tortilla recipe, so I’m pleased to oblige.
The components are actually easy though you do must supply on the spot corn flour, which except you reside close to a Mexican retailer, might require you to look on-line. There is no such thing as a substitute for it that I’m conscious of, I’m afraid. I acquired mine from a Mexican retailer on the town and I’ve a confession to make. I purchased a number of kilos of it and I forgot about it for some time so the flour I’m presently utilizing is 6 months old-fashioned – I do know, daredevil me!
It’s been saved in a dry, darkish cabinet, there aren’t any aliens in it and it tastes completely fantastic so moderately than binning it and shopping for a brand new one, I merely used what I had. I’m not saying go on the market and get an old-fashioned corn flour 😉 , however when you occur to have a little bit of a break in your tortilla consumption and your flour will get a contact previous, it needs to be fantastic to make use of supplied it smells and appears fantastic and it’s not a house to a household of flour beetles, in fact.
So sure, the components are very easy and so is the method, though it requires slightly time to get the grasp of it, which you’ll, I promise you. One other three necessities with regards to making corn tortillas are tortilla press, comal and a tortilla hotter however there are methods round all three. So when you don’t have a tortilla press, you possibly can merely use a heavy forged iron pan to squash them down or a rolling pin to complete the job. If you happen to don’t have a comal – I don’t – use a heavy bottomed, forged iron frying pan or skillet. And at last, a tortilla hotter can actually be improvised. You need one thing insulated that traps warmth in. I wrap my tortillas in a clear kitchen towel after which put them in a small cool bag that I acquired with one thing chilly I bought as soon as. It really works a deal with, as would a heat sleeping bag (eccentric nevertheless it works 😉 ) or a Dutch oven closely lined with insulating materials like bubble wrap. Get artistic and positively don’t exit and purchase the correct gear except you’re dedicated to creating tortillas time and again and once more.
Proper, so with all of this housekeeping out of the best way, let’s transfer on to the nitty gritty of tortilla making. I gives you all the guidelines I’ve realized myself and I hope you’ll benefit from the course of and the top results of your exhausting labour.
PS: If you happen to make my corn tortillas, don’t neglect to tag me on Instagram as @lazycatkitchen and use the #lazycatkitchen hashtag. I really like seeing your takes on my recipes!
- makes: 10-14
- 200 g / 2 cups* on the spot corn flour, I take advantage of this model
- heaped ½ tsp fantastic salt
- 360 ml / 1½ cups heat water
DOUGH (MASA HARINA)
- Place cornflour and salt in a big mixing bowl.
- Add 360 ml / 1½ cups of water and blend nicely, with a spoon first after which along with your fingers. Knead for a bit to distribute the moisture evenly, then collect the whole lot right into a ball and permit it to relaxation for 15 minutes below a moist kitchen towel. After the resting time, the dough needs to be supple and smooth, not dry, however not sticky both. If the dough feels too dry, add a tiny bit extra water and a bit extra flour if too sticky.
- Divide the dough into 10-14 (relying on how massive you need your tortillas) even parts and roll every right into a ball. Utilizing scales is the easiest way to do that, in fact.
- Place the balls in a bowl beneath a moist kitchen towel.
- To press the dough balls, you will have a chunk of foil or greaseproof paper. The most effective factor to make use of is a big zipper bag with the zip and backside minimize off and one of many sides break up open. You’ll be able to clear, dry and reuse this bag many occasions to minimise waste. In any other case a chunk of greaseproof paper additionally works, not in addition to it tends to soak up a number of the moisture out of the tortillas and its floor will get a bit crumpled within the course of, nevertheless it does work. The scale of this lining materials will depend on the scale of your press – you don’t need it to get caught within the hinges, however equally, you don’t need it too small because the dough will spill out – I take advantage of a chunk that when folded within the center offers me a 19 cm / 7.5″ sq..
- TORTILLA PRESS
Line the tortilla press along with your plastic or paper lining, place a dough ball slightly off centre – nearer to the primary hinge than to the deal with, put the second layer of your lining materials down, shut the press and the gently press down. Chances are you’ll wish to rotate the tortilla 180 levels, to make sure that it’s evenly pressed as often the half near the deal with will get slightly flatter.
- NO TORTILLA PRESS
Place a dough ball in the course of the 2 layers of foil or paper and gently squash it with a heavy skillet or pan. Then use a rolling pin, by way of the liner materials, to softly roll it out thinner if wanted. Apply very delicate, even strain with the rolling pin for finest outcomes.
- Have your tortilla hotter helpful or put together a contraption for protecting your tortillas heat and supple. A clear kitchen towel to wrap cooked tortillas in and one thing to lock the heat in is what’s wanted – a small insulated cool bag, a dutch oven with a lid lined with bubble wrap and so forth., get artistic.
- Warmth up a comal or a heavy forged iron pan / skillet on a medium-high warmth for about 3-Four minutes.
- As soon as the pan is scorching, seize the primary tortilla along with the liner foil / paper. Peel one layer of the liner foil off and place the tortilla flat within the palm of your hand, then peel the opposite aspect of the liner materials off very slowly and gently.
- Decrease your tortilla holding hand into the pan, flip your hand and permit the tortilla to fall flat onto the pan’s floor.
- Go away the tortilla undisturbed for about 60 seconds in order that the underside aspect will get sealed – do this even when your tortilla doesn’t fairly land flat, it will likely be simpler to take it off the pan cleanly.
- Whereas your first tortilla is cooking, press one other one and have it prepared to put within the pan as quickly as the primary one is finished.
- After 60 seconds, slide a spatula beneath the tortilla and flip it. Press it down with the spatula for a number of seconds, at this level chances are you’ll or might not have bubbles forming beneath the floor. Don’t panic in the event that they don’t type, they don’t at all times. Prepare dinner for 30-60 seconds. Then flip once more and prepare dinner for an additional 30-60 seconds. As a rule of thumb, prepare dinner every tortilla for 2-Three minutes in whole and whereas it’s tempting to get it properly charred, don’t push it an excessive amount of as your tortillas will find yourself dry and brittle.
- As soon as off the pan, place the cooked tortillas in a tortilla hotter (or your home made equal). They are going to soften from the steam and stay heat and supple.
- Eat right away, or retailer, wrapped tightly, for one 1-2 days. You can even freeze them separated by squares of baking paper and locked away in a freezer bag or an hermetic container. Reheat in a steamer as soon as thawed.
*If utilizing cups be sure you measure the flour in an accurate method. As a substitute of scooping it straight from the bag, spoon the flour into the measuring cup after which degree with a knife.