This recipe updates the Italian basic, sausage and peppers, with vegan sausage. It makes a hearty one-dish meal served with pasta, grains, or polenta. Proven above, it’s paired with farro. Gentle, pale-green Italian frying peppers which might be sometimes out there in supermarkets and produce markets make this extra genuine, however utilizing widespread bell peppers works simply as effectively.
Italian-Fashion Vegan Sausage and Peppers
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bundle Tofurky or Discipline Roast vegan sausage, any selection, reduce into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 giant onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2–three cloves garlic, minced
- four giant Italian frying peppers, seeded and reduce into strips (or substitute three giant crimson, inexperienced, or yellow bell peppers, or a mixture)
- 1/four cup dry white wine, optionally available
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or contemporary oregano to style)
- 1 tsp dried basil (or contemporary basil to style)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- dried scorching crimson pepper flakes, to style
- salt and freshly floor pepper, to style
- scorching cooked pasta, grains, or polenta, optionally available
- Warmth simply sufficient of the oil to frivolously coat the underside of a giant skillet, reserving the remaining. Add the sausage and prepare dinner over medium-high warmth, stirring often till all sides are golden brown. Take away from the skillet and put aside.
- Warmth the remaining oil in the identical pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low warmth till translucent. Add the garlic and peppers and sauté till all are tender and golden.
- Stir within the optionally available wine, pureed tomatoes, and seasonings. Deliver to a simmer, then cowl and prepare dinner over low warmth for 10 minutes.
- Stir the reserved vegan sausage into the combination. Season with salt and pepper. Serve without delay, spooning a number of the sausage and peppers combination over particular person servings of pasta, grains, or polenta, or by itself in case you want.
Images: Evan Atlas
Listed here are extra:
This put up was initially printed on 30 September 2012.